At some point you and bae might start asking the age-old question: “Should we move in together?” While living together is more intimate and a smarter financial choice, you shouldn’t rush into something you’re both not ready for, especially when it comes to establishing your decor. Does your partner know what mid-century boho is? Here’s how to know if you have the compatible decor styles required for happily cohabitating:
What’s your partner’s overall aesthetic?
- Their style is pretty conventional and standard.
- They’re eclectic. It’s hard to pin down one distinct category.
When traveling, who picks the AirBnB?
- 100% me. I’m the one with the eye for bright, relaxing places.
- Whoever has the time! I trust them to find somewhere that’s vintage with some new-ish renovations.
What’s their at-home office setup like?
- They recently got a standing desk.
- Desk, bed, couch, kitchen counter. Wherever they’re vibing.
What’s their favorite material?
- Hanes cotton shirts, khaki, dri-fit golf polos.
- Warm wood tones, woven planters, wiry pendants. Vibey stuff.
Have they ever hung a movie poster in their bedroom before?
- They went through this phase in college with Quentin Tarantino, Space Jam, and How I Met Your Mother posters.
- They don’t have enough room with all their large round mirrors and small potted plants on floating shelves!
Do they have any framed pieces of fine art?
- A framed picture of us I gifted to them for the holidays one year.
- Yes, it’s like a curated gallery wall.
Is their family anything like the stones in The Family Stone?
- Not really, but they mean well!
- Dianne Keaton vibes, all the way.
Mostly 1’s: You might need a little more time! They seem very “Target”, but that’s not a deal breaker! Take a trip to Ikea, browse through the Urban Outfitters website together, and have a chat. It sounds like they get the mid-century thing, but not boho. It’s possible they just haven’t discovered juxtaposing colorful pieces yet!
Mostly 2’s: You two sound compatible! They’re already blending interior design styles and have art en masse. Go combine incomes and buy some expensive pillows! Lean art pieces on a refurbished mantel! Big, geometric furniture! Ottomans! Layer, layer, layer!!!