Let’s face it: This economy is shit. And it can make things especially difficult for people who don’t have the luxury of a stable income or a lack of debt. But how can you be sure if capitalism is causing your problems or if you’re actually fiscally fine and just having a rough go of it? We can help! Take this quiz to determine if if you’re being oppressed by capitalism or if life in general is just a lil tricky sometimes.
Is your industry at risk of being automated in the near future?
- Yes, I’m a food service worker at several different restaurants to make ends meet. I don’t know what I’ll do when cashiers become obsolete.
- No, I’m a creative director at a high-end marketing agency. But the barista got my order slightly wrong and I don’t know if I should tell her.
Are you paying both your own bills and supplementing your parents’ bills?
- Yes, my dad was laid off from his factory job and I’m struggling to support two households. I fear for my future and my children’s future daily.
- No, my parents inherited seven figures from my grandparents and bought me an apartment because of it. But I thought a little too much about how hard it is to impress them and that’s bumming me out!
Is your town’s water, soil, or air supply incredibly polluted?
- Yes, our water is super contaminated and the high school I attended was built upon a PCB dump. Teachers who work there have to get yearly cancer screenings.
- No, I live in a clean, affluent town with plenty of resources dedicated to keeping it that way. But I did also get dumped last week, so things aren’t perfect for me, you know!
Do you have health insurance?
- No, and I also can’t afford to call out sick from work. I pray everyday that I stay healthy so that I don’t slip into insurmountable debt.
- Yes, through my employer. But that didn’t stop me from having the strep throat I’m battling right now. You have no idea how long I had to wait to see my doctor because he takes so much time with each of his patients!
Do you have healthy groceries in the fridge?
- Not really. I have to get on the bus for awhile to get to a market that actually sells fresh produce, and the hours I work to be able to afford groceries makes that nearly impossible.
- Yes, I got them delivered via FreshDirect. But sometimes I’m too tired after getting my workout in at Equinox to cook, so I just have cereal or something, which is NOT paleo.
Ugh, yeah, capitalism is actively oppressing you. It sounds like most of your problems are directly related to this jumped-the-shark economic system. It sucks and we’re sorry!
Naw, it just sounds like you’re experiencing the little foibles that come with being alive. But hey, at least you don’t have to worry about feeding your kids or keeping your lights on! Turns out, life is just hard sometimes!