Just about every sapphic has been there: “Is the woman I’m talking to gay, or does she just have short fingernails?” No matter how many clues there are to a woman’s sexuality, it can be difficult to know for sure without asking. But you’re not gonna do that! So here’s how to tell whether she’s gay, or if she just anxiously bites her fingernails into tiny little nubs:
Where did you meet her?
- At a queer bar.
- Waiting in line for a roller coaster/driver’s test/job interview.
How did she introduce herself?
- She told me her name and said we should hang out sometime.
- She said something but I couldn’t really hear it because she mumbled it to herself, and then she just walked away?
What’s her body language like when she talks to you?
- Very open and welcoming.
- Lots of shaking.
Have you two hung out at all?
- Just once, and I don’t know if it was a date or not.
- We did, but she just looked at her phone the whole time while biting her nails.
Mostly 1s: It seems like her fingernails are an intentional choice, and not a symptom of her anxiety, which means she could definitely be gay! Go ahead and ask her on an actual, clear date, and see what she says!
Mostly 2s: If one thing’s for sure, it’s that this girl has anxiety that makes her chomp down on her fingers, but she could also still be gay and just be nervous around you! Try taking a leap of faith and asking if she’s interested in you. Hopefully this doesn’t make you anxious enough to bite your nails too!