In these times, it can be hard to tell if you’re a little bit basic, or if everyone is fundamentally “basic” and just work tirelessly to project that they are “different” in this pesky individualistic society we’ve all grown up in. So do you like pumpkin spice lattes, or does everyone kind of like pumpkin spice lattes but feels like they must be defined by what they do and do not consume? Take this quiz to find out!
What’s your favorite item of clothing?
- I love my cozy knitted scarf and a warm pair of Uggs for fall!
- I wear my vintage denim jacket I thrifted in London.
Who are some of your favorite artists?
- Dua Lipa and Ariana Grande!
- Waxahatchee and Courtney Barnett.
What kind of TV shows do you like?
- I really love Big Bang Theory, but I also love Schitt’s Creek!
- I really love older, more subversive shows like Twin Peaks or anything that was unfairly canceled after one season.
Were you told “Be Yourself, Everyone Else Is Taken” and similar things emphasizing individual differentiation as a child?
- Yes, why?
- Yeah, why?
Were you raised in a country that was founded on the hegemonic notion of “individuality” and emphasizes the idea that you are defined by the proverbial pumpkin spice you consume, and nothing else?
- I have no idea what you just said, but I do enjoy pumpkin spice!
- I mean, yeah, sure, but I’m an artist whose “self” is a constant reflection of the society and the age in which we live. What even is the “self”? I also genuinely love the flavor of pumpkin spice.
Mostly A’s: You’re basic.
You were probably still raised in a society that tells everyone they have to be “different” too, but you’re also just conventionally basic. That’s okay, because really it’s just about having certain preferences, and it doesn’t hurt anyone. You do you!
Mostly B’s: You think you’re not basic, but you are!
The thing is, everyone is basic in a society that rewards differentiation and individualism, no matter the cool or different things that they enjoy. In fact, it might be even more basic to intentionally differentiate yourself because that’s following the formula of what you were taught is best. Sorry about that.